Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A Call to Remember



Exodus is one of my favorite books of the Bible. It begins with hope and a promise: God has not forgotten His people. I scan the first 14 chapters and find an incredible story of God working through history to save His people from bondage to Pharaoh. And He does it all for His own glory. Exodus 15:1-18 is a song of praise, sung by the Israelites. Just listen to a few phrases they sing:

“The Lord is my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation…
Pharaoh’s chariots and his host He cast into the sea.” (vv. 2a, 4a)
“Who is like You, O Lord, among the gods?” (v. 11a)
“You have led in Your steadfast love the people whom You have redeemed.” (v. 13a)

Yet it breaks my heart every time I read Exodus 15. The chapter doesn’t even end before the Israelites have forgotten the praises they sang to the Lord. By verse 24 they are grumbling. I’d like to think that I’m immune to the sin of forgetting. Unfortunately, I’m not. In fact, I might be faster at forgetting than the Israelites.

It is because of the Israelites' tendency to forget that God frequently calls them to remember.

Unrestrained Grace is a place for me, Katlyn, to publicly remember. I like to think of it as a log of faithfulness. I hope and pray that God will use our words to touch and challenge you, but to be honest, Unrestrained Grace is first and foremost for my own heart. I want to remember the things God pressed into my heart, the Scriptures He brought to mind, the sins He brought into the light, and the grace He has shown to me. I want to remember that God does indeed work in the good and the bad.

I pray that Unrestrained Grace will be a place for me to remember that God fills every day with unmerited mercy. Every day with grace.

“My grace is sufficient for you...”
2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment